[INDOLOGY] query: 18 ;sre.nii jaatis

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Oct 6 10:52:27 UTC 2013

Dear Patrick,

     In continuation of Ashok's suggestion, I want to point out that there
is an expression in Marathi अठरा पगड जाती "18 types of Jātis".  Some of the
Jātinirṇaya texts produced by Marathi Pandits may have some local listings
similar to what Ashok has given.  I have one or two such texts, and will
check if they have any list of 18 Jātis.

Madhav

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Ashok Aklujkar <ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com>wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> There may be regional variations and overlaps but in Maharashtra they are
> (according to one dictionary, with approximate translations):
>
> taamba.ta 'coppersmith,'
> paatharava.ta 'stone-cutter,'
> lohaara 'ironsmith,
> sutaara 'carpenter,'
> sonaara, 'goldsmith,
> kaasaara 'bangle-maker &/or seller,'
> kumbhaara 'potter,
> gurava ' local non-brahmin priest,'
> dhanagara 'sheep-keeper.'
> gava.lii 'milkaman,'
> vaa.nii 'grocery merchant,'
> Jaina,
> ko.s.tii 'weaver,'
> saa.lii,
> citaarii 'painter (= picture artist?),''
> maa.lii 'flower-grower &/or seller,'
> telii 'oilman,'
> ra:ngaarii 'painter  (of walls etc.).
>
> If Deva.n.na-bha.tta is an author from Maharashtra-Karnataka area, his
> intended list should be largely similar, although his rajaka, if intended
> in the sense 'washerman,' as distinct from 'one who colors cloth (with
> indigo etc.)', is not there. In the other sense, it could be covered by
> ra:ngaarii or citaarii .
>
> I would be interested in knowing any different explanations or listings
> you get.
>
> a.a.
>

> On 2013-10-05, at 12:12 PM, Patrick Olivelle wrote:
>
> Friends:
>
> Devaṇṇabhaṭṭa in his Smṛticandrikā (Mysore edition, p. 40; Gharpure ed. p.
> 18) commenting on the term śreṇi says:
>
> śreṇyo rajakādyaṣṭādaśahīnajātayaḥ |
>
> Does anyone know the identity of these eighteen lower castes? Thanks.
>
> Patrick

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA