[INDOLOGY] Devanagari keyboard

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Mon Nov 18 15:05:13 UTC 2013

It seems that the ongoing struggle in India to reach keyboard standards
led to three basic systems.

One is Inscript, which has been adapted for all Indian scripts and has
its own internal logic, but is a headache to learn. कृष्ण is typed
"k=<fC". There you have the notorious 'f'.

Then there's the Baraha system: "kRiShNa".

The Gov. of Karnataka supports the keyboard layout of the Kannada Ganaka
Parishad (KGP), where it would be ಕೃಷ್ಣ "kRxfN". This is a kind of
adaptation of Inscript keeping the English layout (which most typists
and computer users already have learnt) in mind, and this seems to be
the basis of the Mac "***-QWERTY" layouts. At first sight this looks not
very intuitive, but after a very short learning period it does prove to
be efficient -- because you don't need to type all those Indic short
a's. :-)

Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> [...] It's the same whatever program I'm using,  because the
> keyboard/language stuff is handled by the operating system, not each
> individual program.  As far as I know, anyhow.

That's what i don't understand about Patrick Olivelle's remark that the
keyboard layout doesn't work with MS Word. For me it only further
underscores that Word is simply not a good program (on the Mac I use
LibreOffice. No problems whatsoever).

> It's handled by software
> on my system, Ubuntu Linux, called Ibus and m17n (which comes with
> Devanagari and IAST romanization already pre-defined).

Actually, on my Scientific Linux (Red Hat derivative) computer, I use
the KGP layout for Kannada in Ibus, for the reason given above.

Robert