[INDOLOGY] Devanagari keyboard

Amba Kulkarni ambapradeep at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:33:32 UTC 2013

It makes sense to absorb 'a', if the language does not have many conjuncts.
There is a lot of saving in typing. We write कमल using only three strokes
'kml' instead of 'kamala'.

But for a language like Sanskrit which has so many conjuncts, it hardly
makes any difference. While you are saving on 'अ', you are paying with
'्'s.  I did a small experiment with Bhagvadgeeta. I encoded it with these
two different schemes. The one with 'अ' had only 5% extra characters than
the one with '्'.

-- Amba Kulkarni

On 13 November 2013 20:50, Dominik Wujastyk <wujastyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm slightly appalled by what I'm hearing about typing "f" in between
> every conjuncted letter.  That must make typing a terrible pain!
>
> All our modern operating systems have built-in stuff for making conjuncts
> automatically by just typing the letters one after another (as in
> romanization).* <http://behdad.org/text/>  I don't understand why MS Win
> and OS/X users are doing this other, laborious thing.  Am I missing
> something obvious?
>
> When I type Devanagari, I type kRSNa and get कृष्ण, kArtsnyam for
> कार्त्स्न्यम् . It's the same whatever program I'm using,  because the
> keyboard/language stuff is handled by the operating system, not each
> individual program.  As far as I know, anyhow.  It's handled by software on
> my system, Ubuntu Linux, called Ibus and m17n (which comes with Devanagari
> and IAST romanization already pre-defined).
>
> Dominik

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.
- Rig Veda, I-89-i.
Assoc Prof.  and Head
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad