Re: [INDOLOGY] Meaning of Paṭa?

Donald R Davis drdj at austin.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 1 12:57:25 UTC 2013

Thank you all very much for clarifying paṭa for me. The unanimous consensus, public and private, is for cloth of some kind (which is in line with the medieval dharma commentators), likely cotton or possibly silk.  It remains curious to me that not a single example seems to have survived, even very late, of a royal decree on such a cloth, but the evidence is overwhelming from the early observations of Nearchos, to the related terms in Indic and Dravidian, to the clear and surviving examples in ritual contexts.

Best regards, Don