[INDOLOGY] Chambers MS collection?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue May 28 23:30:57 UTC 2013

If I remember correctly, I obtained photographs of a manuscript of the
Śaunakīya Caturādhyāyikā from the Chambers' Collection from
Staatsbibliothek Prussischer Kulturbesitz in Berlin.  This happened
probably some thirty years ago, but I am sure you can contact them to find
out about the current availability of manuscript-photographs.

Madhav Deshpande

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Rosane Rocher <rrocher at sas.upenn.edu>wrote:

> I am sorry.  I only know the history of the collection.  I have had
> occasion to read former Fort William College Sanskrit MSS in the Asiatic
> Society in Calcutta, but not Chambers or any other MSS in Berlin.
>
> Best wishes for success,
> Rosane
>
> On 5/28/13 3:52 PM, Martin Gansten wrote:
>
>> Thank you, Rosane. Would you, or any other list member, happen to know
>> who would be the best person in Berlin to contact for help with locating a
>> particular MS from the Chambers collection? A web search left me clueless.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>>

>> Rosane Rocher skrev 2013-05-27 12:01:
>>
>>> The collection of Sir Robert Chambers was acquired by the Berlin Library
>>> in 1843.
>>>
>>> After the closing of Fort William College, most of its collection of
>>> manuscripts remained in Calcutta in the collections of the Asiatic
>>> Society.
>>>
>>> Rosane Rocher

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA