[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit syntax

Jürgen Neuss juergen.neuss at fu-berlin.de
Sat May 25 17:44:56 UTC 2013

Dear Chris,

I would like to be part of the discussion. Maybe I can help with the OCR
part of the Sanskrit portions, if need be.

Best,

Jürgen

On Sat, 25 May 2013 17:02:11 +0200, Christopher Wallis
<bhairava11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Certainly everyone on this list can read the Nāgarī; our idea was to
> retypeset in a readable, modern format to make the book more >appealing
> to graduate students (who generally don't use it, at least in the
> U.S.).  A clean and beautiful edition, print-on-demand, or >available as
> a pdf for free, with improved index, updated IAST, and other new
> features.
>
> If the members of Indology pulled this off all by themselves,
> collaboratively, what a proof of concept it would be for a new era of
> >academic publishing!
>
> We are discussing this off-list, please email myself or Dominik to be
> part of the discussion.
>
> best,Chris Wallis
> U.C. Berkeley
>

> On 25 May 2013 09:01, Patrick Olivelle <jpo at uts.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> Let me also -- since we are in the admiring mood -- add my own voice to
>> this. And to think that it was done in 1886!! I am >>privileged to have
>> the original edition of 1886 published in Leyden (so spelled) by E.J.
>> Brill. It once belonged to Shackleton Bailey >>and is still in perfect
>> condition, and I really don't have any problems reading the Devanagari,
>> although it is in an old, but beautiful, >>font.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

>> On May 25, 2013, at 5:07 AM, dermot at GREVATT.FORCE9.CO.UK wrote:
>>
>>> I'm another admirer. I have a beautifully printed, sturdily bound and
>>> much used
>>> Japanese reprint (Rinshen-Shoten Bookstore, Kyoto, 1968). Speyer is so
>>> methodical
>>> that his statements still make sense despite changes in linguistic
>>> theory, so long as
>>> you understand his dated, Latin-based terminology; and he balances
>>> Paninian
>>> prescriptions with observations of actual texts.
>>>
>>> Dermot Killingley
>>> Newcastle

Dr. phil. Jürgen Neuss
Freie Universität Berlin
- Department of History and Cultural Studies
- - Institute for the Scientific Study of Religion
Goßlerstr. 2-4
14195 Berlin
Germany