[INDOLOGY] mAtAjI

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Fri May 24 17:10:50 UTC 2013

tAta is quite interesting as a term of affection, including for father (elder), or for son or other junior.

Examples:
Gita 6.40 - Krishna calls Arjuna tAta (they are roughly the same age).
BhP 1.13.11 Yudhisthira to his uncle Vidura
BhP 1.14.15 Yudhisthira to his younger brother Bhima
BhP 1.14.39 Yudhisthira to his younger brother Arjuna
BhP 2.6.1    BrahmA to his mental son NArada.
etc.

Best,
Howard