[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit in Groningen

hans bakker h.t.bakker at rug.nl
Thu May 23 21:38:30 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,
After a long uphill struggle, we have finally lost. The board of the
Faculty of Religious Studies,  backed  by the Board of the University of
Groningen and supported by the chairman of my department, has decided to
close the Institute of Indian Studies.
The tradition of the study of Sanskrit  of more than a hundred years  in
the Groningen University,
which was inaugurated by Jacob Samuel Speyer,  will come to an end by 1
August 2013.
I have little hope that protests will make any difference. If you feel
inclined to react, though, this reaction could  be sent to the following
addresses.

President of the Board of the University of Groningen, S. Poppema:
s.poppema at rug.nl

Dean of the Faculty of Religious Studies, G. H. van Kooten:
g.h.van.kooten at rug.nl

Chairman of The Department of  Comparative and Historical Study of
Religion, Kocku Von Stuckradt:    c.k.m.von.stuckrad at rug.nl

Hans Bakker

--

Prof Hans T. Bakker