[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit syntax

Whitney Cox wc3 at soas.ac.uk
Thu May 23 20:43:44 UTC 2013

I'm a huge admirer of Speyer's book--I honestly feel like I learn something
new and interesting every single time I open it-- but I do agree with Chris
that it would benefit from re-setting.  The font in which the Nāgarī text
is set can make for hard reading for those who aren't used to it: there are
many times that I've strongly recommended it to intermediate students who
have found it difficult to make sense of.  Also, Speyer doesn't always
translate his examples: this isn't a problem for those with more experience
in the language, but the target audience of language learners are sometimes
at a disadvantage, which is a real shame.

On 23 May 2013 15:16, Paul Hackett <ph2046 at columbia.edu> wrote:

> Dear Chris and others,
>
>   I do not know if Speier/Speyer/Speijer's _Sanskrit Syntax_ has been
> re-typeset or not, but there are publications for sale that give the
> impression of a new edition.  I discovered this when attempting to purchase
> a copy a couple of years ago only to discover that some "enterprising"
> individuals have been data mining Google books (and/or possibly the DLI)
> and selling exceptionally poor copies (missing pages, underlining, margin
> notes, etc.) of many books (including Speijer's) through a print-on-demand
> service as "new books". Just a warning to beware.
>
>   I can say that the 2009 paperback from Motilal is very clean and
> readable.
>
> best,
>
> Paul Hackett
> Columbia University
>

> On May 23, 2013, at 3:03 PM, Christopher Wallis wrote:
>
> Dear Peter and fellow Indologists,
>
> Does anyone know whether Speier's original *Sanskrit Syntax *has been
> re-typeset or if there are any plans to do this?  It seems quite worthwhile.
>
> best,
> Chris Wallis
>

> On 20 May 2013 10:52, Peter Scharf <scharfpm7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>> The History of Linguistic Theory lab. at the University of Paris 7, Denis
>> Diderot, will host a seminar on Sanskrit syntax 13-15 June. The program
>> begins with a keynote address by Professor Emeritus Hans Hock who in 1986
>> edited the volume on Sanskrit syntax in honor of the centennial of Speier's
>> *Sanskrit Syntax*.  The second day of the program begins with a special
>> lecture by George Cardona concerned with contributions of Paninian grammar
>> to Sanskrit syntax.  The afternoon of the 15th will include several
>> presentations on the state of image-text alignment for Sanskrit
>> manuscripts.  Please see the announcement<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/BC?name=SyntaxParis/announce&context=~Events&title=Syntax%20Seminar> of
>> the seminar and the full program<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/BC?name=SyntaxParis/program&context=~Events&title=Syntax%20Seminar> under
>> Events on the Sanskrit Library website.
>>  Scholars are invited to attend.  Please register at no cost on the
>> seminar website.
>> The seminar is sponsored by the Chaire Internationale de Recherche Blaise
>> Pascal financée par l’Etat et la Région d'Ile-de-France, gérée par la
>> Fondation de l’Ecole Normale Supérieure.
>>  Yours sincerely,
>> Peter
>>
>> Peter M. Scharf, President
>> The Sanskrit Library
>> scharf at sanskritlibrary.org
>>  *************************************************
>> Peter M. Scharf, Ph.D.
>> Université Paris Diderot
>> Laboratoire d'Histoire des Théories Linguistiques
>> 5 rue Thomas Mann, Case 7034
>> Cedex 13
>> 75205 Paris
>> France
> [...]

Dr. Whitney Cox
Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit
Department of the Languages and Cultures of South Asia,
SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG