[INDOLOGY] debt

Walser, Joseph Joseph.Walser at tufts.edu
Tue May 21 10:32:31 UTC 2013

Your student should probably check out Gregory Schopen's article "Dead monks and bad debts: Some provisions of a Buddhist Monastic inheritance law" in _Buddhist Monks and Business Matters_. I don't think the buddhists who wrote the vinayas were in a position to declare a jubilee year. That would be the perogative of the king.

Other than that, I seem to recall the issue of debts only coming up in the Yajnavalkya and Katyayana smrtis, though it might be in Manu as well. I don't have them with me at the moment, but could find references if need be.

Hope this is of some help.

-j

Joseph Walser

Associate Professor