[INDOLOGY] debt

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Tue May 21 10:15:15 UTC 2013

dear Colleagues,

I've been asked whether (tout court) Buddhism or Hinduism have any clear
attitudes toward debt. I understand the question not to refer to spiritual
debt, but to monetary debt, and the origins of the questions to probably be
whether we find things comparable to the idea of the Jubilee, or the
Biblical necessity to release Hebrew slaves after 7 years of service (the
origin of the Sabbatical, by the way!), and the like (at least as far as I
know, there is no such provision in pre-modern India for manumission).
Any advice would be most welcome, thanks!

Jonathan

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden