[INDOLOGY] Nr. of Veda MSS

Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 10:27:20 UTC 2013

Dear list-members,

I sent the following message to the Indology list at the end of February, but I believe it didn't come through, perhaps because of the transition period from the old to the new server. I hope someone will have an answer to this question:

Does someone have a rough estimate of the number of available "Veda" Manuscripts? Or of manuscripts cataloged under the rubric "Veda" or "Vedic"? I know this might be a tricky question considering the different criteria applied to the classification of manuscripts in different collections, but perhaps someone has already looked into the matter before.
Perhaps, to simplify my question a little: do we have an estimate of the number of existing Veda Samhitā manuscripts of the different śākhās?

Thank you for your responses.

Best,
Maitreya B. Larios
(Maitreya) Borayin Larios