[INDOLOGY] question for European Indologists

Herman Tull hermantull at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 17:09:26 UTC 2013

In the USA, Lanman's A Sanskrit Reader was, for a century or more, the de
facto standard for beginning Sanskrit students (this has changed only in
recent decades with the appearance of Goldman and Goldman, Scharf, Hock,
etc).

Is there an equivalent introductory text that was used in Europe
(Stenzler?)  Do European Sanskrit students also work with Nala as a first
text (which I know is found in Bopp, Boehtlink, Monier-Williams, Stenzler,
and Lanman)?

Thanks...I'm just looking for a bit of anecdotal evidence here; any
comments will help.
--
Herman Tull
Princeton, NJ