[INDOLOGY] Milk ocean

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Sun Jun 23 00:48:37 UTC 2013

I believe khir is Skt kshira (I haven't figured out how to do diacriticals on Indology yet).

Other examples of Bengali simplifying Sanskrit consonant clusters, specifically ksh to kh:

Parikshit -- Parikhit

Kshetra -- Khetra

Bengali also sometimes simplifies Skt consonant clusters by adding a vowel:  bhakta -- bhakata

Best,
Howard