[INDOLOGY] publication

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Jul 29 10:51:34 UTC 2013

Dear Malhar,

     Thanks for communicating this sad news.  I saw Professor S.D. Joshi
briefly during my visit to Pune in June.  He was very week and could barely
sit in the chair and talk.  He said to me: "I never thought you would see
me in this condition."  It was indeed difficult for me to see him in that
condition, and now to hear the news of his passing away.   He was a close
friend and a college classmate of my father, and I saw him since my early
childhood as a favorite uncle "Kaka".  During the two years he was my
teacher at the University of Pune, he had his class of three students come
to his home every day for an in depth session.  The class was made up of
me, Jayashree Gune and Pandit Athalekar.  His home became our second home.
There was unlimited generosity in his heart.  धिगस्तु तां
निष्करुणामनित्यताम् - is what I recall from the Aśokāvadāna.  He had a
brilliant life and we must celebrate his contributions.

Madhav Deshpande

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Malhar Arvind Kulkarni
<malhar at iitb.ac.in>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> My teacher, Prof.S.D.Joshi passed away this morning in Pune. Salutations
> to the Master!
>
> Malhar Kulkarni.
>

> > Colleagues, The proceedings of the vyākaraṇa section of the XVth World
> > Sanskrit Conference, entitled Vyākaraṇa across the Ages, have been
> > published by D. K. Printworld, Delhi.  Information, including a table of
> > contents, can be viewed at the publisher's web site:
> > http://dkprintworld.com/product-detail.php?pid=1280857209. Regards,
> George
> > Cardona

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA