[INDOLOGY] Buddhist Citation

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 11 03:58:21 UTC 2013

Dear Patrick,

I am presently away from my library and so can only hazard a guess, but it may be worthwhile to check if K is
paraphrasing something from the Mahāyānasūtrālamkāra or the Abhisamayāyālamkāra. The general idea that
the bodhisattva takes to himself the fruitsof the world's evils, while aspiring for itsfull liberation, is
quite widespread in Mahāyāna literature in any case.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago