[INDOLOGY] John Brough's 1980 article on Pali sakāya niruttiyā?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Feb 24 12:56:00 UTC 2013

Dear Indologists,

     If any one has access to an electronic copy of John Brough's article
on "sakāya niruttiyā", please send it to me as an attachment.  I am
interested in the discussion of the Pali word sakkata used by Buddhaghosa
and others to refer to Sanskrit.  Looks like this word would come from
Sanskrit satkṛta, rather than from saṃskṛta.  The latter appears in Pali as
saṅkhata.  What I found interesting is that satkṛtām vācam appears as a
variant of saṃskṛtām vācam in the manuscripts of Rāmāyaṇa [Sundarakāṇḍa
28.17-18], where Hanuman is wondering that should he speak to Sītā in
saṃskṛtāṃ/satkṛtāṃ vācam like a Brahmin, she would take him for Rāvaṇa and
would be frightened.  The critical edition of Rāmāyaṇa selects the reading
saṃskṛtām, and hence this passage is taken as one of the early reference to
the usage of the word saṃskṛta in relation to a language.  However, the
reading satkṛtām is there in several manuscripts, and would seem to match
the Pali/Prakrit usage of sakkata/sakkaya to refer to Sanskrit.  K. R.
Norman refers to Brough's article, but I have not had access to it.  Any
other occurrences of satkṛta in reference to Sanskrit?

Madhav Deshpande

--
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics