Another Query

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 6 19:26:31 UTC 2013

Dear Matthew,

The word *visarāru* sounds suspiciously Dravidian. In Telugu, *visarāru* means
"(v.) to spread out, to diffuse", which also has cognates in other
Dravidian languages (See DEDR
5450<http://kolichala.com/DEDR/searchindexid.php?q=5450>).
It is remarkable that the Traditional lexicographers in Telugu ascribed a
Sanskrit etymology for this word, deriving it from Skt. *visaraṇa*.

Is it possible Kamalaśīla was a South Indian, and influenced by the local
tradition of considering a Dravidian *visarāru* as a Sanskrit word?

Regards,
Suresh.