[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Dictionary

James Hartzell james.hartzell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 08:43:35 UTC 2013

Thanks Peter for the information on your Integrated Sanskrit Dictionary --
what a fantastic resource; congratulations on such a major achievement.  I
see that your Apte also links to definitions that include the head word,
which is a really useful feature.  It would be lovely if later versions
could include hyperlinks within the definitions--Tony Duff built such a
feature into his Illuminator, and it's often very handy. By the way,  I
noticed that the links to 'Bothlink' and to 'Scharf's Ramopakhyana' don't
seem to be working this morning.  If you could send a link to the app Ralph
Bunker developed that would be great.

Cheers

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Peter Scharf <scharfpm7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Congratulations to the Harvard team for creating another Sanskrit-English
> Dictionary application.
>
> Indologists should be aware that Sanskrit dictionaries have been available
> on the web and in other apps for some time and are currently under
> development in a major NEH/DFG-funded project undertaken by The Sanskrit
> Library and the University of Cologne (see http://sanskritlibrary.orgunder "Projects") or click this
> link<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/BC?name=NEHDFG2009&context=~Personnel,~Projects&title=Digital+Sanskrit+Library+Integration%3C/h1%3E>
> .
>
> The Sanskrit Library currently displays (at http://sanskritlibrary.orgunder "Reference" under "Integrated Sanskrit Dictionary" an integrated
> web interface<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/FunderburkInterface?type=1>of 10 Sankskrit dictionaries.  We are currently testing on our development
> site an expanded version with 15 dictionaries.  Our project, in conjunction
> with the University of Cologne, will soon expand the set even further.  We
> expect to offer the entire integrated dictionary in an app next year.
>
> Several years ago Ralph Bunker developed a Monier-Williams app which was
> renewed with the organizing direction of Kaj Hoffman and programming of
> Gabriel Vincent.
>
> --
> ***
> Peter M. Scharf