[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Dictionary

Peter Scharf scharfpm7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 05:36:17 UTC 2013

Congratulations to the Harvard team for creating another Sanskrit-English
Dictionary application.

Indologists should be aware that Sanskrit dictionaries have been available
on the web and in other apps for some time and are currently under
development in a major NEH/DFG-funded project undertaken by The Sanskrit
Library and the University of Cologne (see http://sanskritlibrary.org under
"Projects") or click this
link<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/BC?name=NEHDFG2009&context=~Personnel,~Projects&title=Digital+Sanskrit+Library+Integration%3C/h1%3E>
.

The Sanskrit Library currently displays (at
http://sanskritlibrary.orgunder "Reference" under "Integrated Sanskrit
Dictionary" an integrated
web interface<http://sanskritlibrary.org/tomcat/sl/FunderburkInterface?type=1>of
10 Sankskrit dictionaries.  We are currently testing on our
development
site an expanded version with 15 dictionaries.  Our project, in conjunction
with the University of Cologne, will soon expand the set even further.  We
expect to offer the entire integrated dictionary in an app next year.

Several years ago Ralph Bunker developed a Monier-Williams app which was
renewed with the organizing direction of Kaj Hoffman and programming of
Gabriel Vincent.

--
​***​

​***​