Re: [INDOLOGY] aḥ + a in a compound?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 11:06:31 UTC 2013

28 04 13
Dear
Colleague,
The
avagraha originated in the language of the orally transmitted Vedas before the
introduction of writing. It meant ‘separation’  that is to say it was not necessarily a sandhi-phenomenon
and had one mora duration. The last component of a compound (barring the dvandva) was separated with
avagraha in padapāṭha and of two words in abhinihita sandhi even outside the
padapāṭha.
Unlike
in the Vedas the avagraha has no phonetic value or linguistic function in
Classical Sanskrit where it is a graphic convention, an apostrophe, to mark the
coalescing of the initial a- of a word into the final e- of the preceding word
in abhinihita sandhi. Thus, it is understood as a sandhi rule in Cl. Sanskrit
which it originally was not. And, as far as I know, there is no rule in grammar
for its use. Pāṇini
uses the word avagraha in its Vedic sense.
I have
no manuscript of the Gītā with me at present. Interested persons may check the
reading mama tejoṃśasambhavam Gītā 10.41 from manuscripts. The printed
editions with me have the avagraha. But, unfortunately, faithful presentation
of manuscript reading is not a strong point of many editors. The critical apparatus
of the BORI Edition (ed. Edgerton) too may be consulted.
Best
DB