Re: [INDOLOGY] aḥ + a in a compound?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Apr 28 10:29:02 UTC 2013

Hello McComas,

     As far as Pāṇini's grammar is concerned, the only difference between
external sandhis and sandhis between members of a compound is that the
sandhi is seen as obligatory within a compound, but not outside a
compound.  Having said that, the members of a compound are treated within
Pāṇini's grammar as full pada-s or inflected words, where the inflections
simply get deleted, and new inflections added to the compound as a whole.
Therefore, the members of a compound as well as independent inflected words
of a sentence have the same status as pada-s, and hence the same sandhi
rules apply to them.  The practice of writing Avagraha is not seen
consistently in the manuscripts and printed texts and it is generally not
shown within a compound, but the actual sandhis are the same.  Best,

Madhav Deshpande

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM, McComas Taylor
<McComas.Taylor at anu.edu.au>wrote:

> Dear Scholars
>
> Can you help me out with a sandhi problem that arose in class the other
> day?
>
> Raghuvaṁśa  1.14
>
> sarvatejobhibhavinā
>
> The commentary glosses this as
>
> sarvāṇi bhūtāni tejasā abhibhavati iti sarvatejobhāvī tena
> sarvatejobhibhavinā
>
> The translation is something like 'by one who surpasses all in tejas'
>
> External sandhi rules apply to words in compounds, e.g.
>
> manas + hara = manohara
>
> Therefore with  tejas + abhibhāvin  normally one would expect
> tejo'bhibhāvin (aḥ + a = o + ')
>
> But in the root text and the commentary avagraha is not shown. In fact, as
> far as I know, there is no such thing as an avagraha in a compound.
>
> Prof Greg Bailey kindly provided a number of other similar examples from
> Mbh, so this form is not particularly uncommon.
>
> Does anyone know of a rule or a convention that covers this form?  Put it
> another way, how should the combination aḥ + a be handled within a compound?
>
> Yours
>
> McC
>
> --
> ------------------------------
> McComas Taylor,  ANU University Education Scholar 2012-13
> Head, South Asia Program
> ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
> Tel: +61 2 6125 3179
> Location: Baldessin Precinct Building, 4.24
> Website: McComas Taylor <http://arktos.anu.edu.au/chill/index.php/mct>

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1608, USA