[INDOLOGY] Bhattacharyya's Sadhanamala edition

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 11:21:43 UTC 2013

On 4 April 2013 21:03, Christian K. Wedemeyer <wedemeyer at uchicago.edu>wrote:

>  I would encourage supporting the Oriental Institute by purchasing a print
> copy from them, if one can.

​Yes, I agree.​

> The reprint edition reads (for what it's worth) "© All rights are reserved
> by the Publishers."

​This may not be a valid assertion.  It depends on whether the publishers
took the trouble to contact the author's literary heirs and negotiated a
transfer of copyright.  I'd be surprised if that happened.

When publishers print a (C) statement on a book or article, it isn't always
correct.  It's happened to me at least twice that a publisher has asserted
copyright over my work when they have no right to do so.  First, with my
book *Metarules of Paninian Grammar*.  In that book, there are two
copyright statements, mine and the publishers.​  I gave no rights to the
publisher, Forsten, and their (C) statement is legally invalid. I was
unpleasantly surprised when I saw it, but the book was then published and
there was nothing I could reasonably do.  The second instance was my
article "A Body of Knowledge" published by Brill in *Asian Medicine*.
Brill was paid €400 by UCL, my then employer, as a fee to make that article
Open Access.  They printed the article and put it on their
website<http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/10.1163/157342109x423793>with
an illegal "(C) Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, 2008" statement: I had
never transferred my copyright to them.  That (C) assertion of theirs is
invalid.  The very same paper is also distributed in
PubMedCentral<http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC2772122>,
with the correct Creative Commons license.

You have to watch these publishers like a hawk.  There's real money
involved, quite apart from ethical issues.

Dominik