hinduism film recommendations

Lance Nelson lnelson at SANDIEGO.EDU
Mon Sep 17 21:39:51 UTC 2012

Colleagues,

One of my favorites, though now a tad dated, is the BBC film "The Fourth Stage," which documents the deliberations of a retired Deccan Herald editor as he tries to decide whether he should follow a family tradition and take samnyasa in his old age.  Included is his pilgrimage to Srngeri (where he has an interview the Sankaracarya) and Banaras (where he observes a ritual initiation into samnyasa), as well as a fascinating discussion with his family ("We're all against your idea!).  Now available on DVD. See:

http://www.southasia.wisc.edu/films/fourth.html

Regards,

Lance
Lance Nelson