a question about 'dalit'

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri Sep 7 13:36:48 UTC 2012

Dear Jonathan,

     While the word dalita as a past participle of the verb dalati is
widely used in the classical literature, the use of this term to refer to
"down-trodden" or lower-caste people is entirely new, no more than 20 or 30
years old, but indeed very widespread today in India.

Madhav Deshpande

--
Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics