Games

Stefan Baums baums at LMU.DE
Sun Sep 2 12:17:04 UTC 2012

Dear Dipak Bhattacharya, dear Jean‐Michel Delire,

> The first picture looks like a board for what is known in Bengal
> as the indoor game of ‘capturing the tiger’.

from the looks of the Nasik board, that would be the game known in
Hindi and Nepali as Bāgh Cāl. Turner’s CDIAL has an entry for it:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh-Chal

What is the Bengali term for the game?

> It is one of the dying indigenous pastimes.

Maybe there is hope. The Wikipedia page for Bāgh Cāl

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagh-Chal

lists quite a number of computer versions of the game – including
one for the iPhone. Do we have a good date for the Nasik board (or
any other information on how far back this game goes)?

All best,
Stefan Baums

--
Dr. Stefan Baums
Institute for Indian and Tibetan Studies