etymology of the word 'DRAVIDA"

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 28 19:55:27 UTC 2012

Please see the DEDR entry

3080 Ta. tamir̤ Tamil language, the Tamils, the Tamil country; tamir̤aṉ a Tamilian. Ma. tamir̤ Tamil language. To. tobiḷ id. Ka. tamir̤a, tambar̤a id. Tu. tamuḷů, tamuḷu, tambuḷu Tamil. / Cf. Skt. draviḍa-, dramila-, drāviḍa-. DED 2508.

Regards,
Palaniappan

-----Original Message-----
From: alakendu das <mailmealakendudas at REDIFFMAIL.COM>
To: INDOLOGY <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Subject: [INDOLOGY] etymology of the word 'DRAVIDA"

To All,
         I would be benefitted if anybody can  enlighten me about the etymology of the word 'Dravida' as used in naming the race DRAVIDIAN.

 Thanking You                                          Yours faithfully

                                                          ALAKENDU DAS
                                                        Post-Graduate,INDOLOGY

Catch India as it happens with the Rediff News App. To download it for FREE, click here