ethnography of aesthetic experience

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 21 07:01:58 UTC 2012

Dear List,

I would appreciate any advice on whether recent research into
Abhinavagupta's theory of aesthetic appreciation has been applied
ethnographically?

I am trying to theorise my observations of satsa.nga as performance; what
constitutes epistemological access to rasa, particularly zaanta rasa; and
the identity of the true connoisseur (sah.rdaya).

My departure point is that the guru's performance during satsa.nga is akin
to the poet's performance and that similar elements are required for the
guru's message to be understood as in the performance of poetry.

As Sanskrit poetic theory is quite new to me, I am not sure of many things.
I would appreciate the names of any relevant texts that you may feel could
benefit me in this endeavour.

--
All the best,

Patrick McCartney