old tamil

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Thu Nov 15 13:58:56 UTC 2012

Dear Adriano,

I suppose the answer will not be the same
if the person wants to study one of the literary works
or one of the śāstric works.

For someone intending to read (non technical) literature,
a good starting points might be
the book by S. Agasthialingom
about பதிற்றுப் பத்து [patiṟṟup pattu].

However, I would be much more useful to read Agasthialingom
after reading the book by V.S. Rajam.
A Reference Grammar of Classical Tamil Poetry (150 B.C.--pre-fifth/sixth
Century A.D.)

See:
"http://books.google.co.in/books/about/A_Reference_Grammar_of_Classical_Tamil_P.html?id=n6VhXLdmdKkC"

Another useful set of books to read is:

"http://www.efeo.fr/fiche_publication.php?code=298&fid=644"

"http://www.efeo.fr/fiche_publication.php?code=298&fid=643"

If the person is really interested in reading Tamil śāstric texts do
tell me,
I can provide more pointers ;-)

Best

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris/Pondichéry)