Question on Pali syntax

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Nov 15 19:57:22 UTC 2012

Dear Rich,

     I think Edgerton's suggestion seems to point in the right historical
direction.  The other explanation I found in Bhikkhu Sujato's book on "A
History of Mindfulness" (p. 296fn), but I don't think it is correct:
"Presumably this was merely a reciter's glitch, as they mechanically
repeated the phrase from earlier sections, without noticing the change in
number from singular to plural.  Innocuous enough, but a reminder of the
fallibility of the tradition."  This is too strong a conclusion, since this
phrase, and this pattern of atthi with a plural noun is fairly widespread
in the Pali texts.  Thanks for pointing me to Edgerton's suggestion.  Best,

Madhav