Harappan script

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Tue Jun 19 17:57:48 UTC 2012

Alakendu Das writes:

> If anybody may throw light by way of referring any opinion/journals/books on deciphering of Harrappan Script pertaining to the Indus Valley civilisation.

On this acrimonious issue opinion/journal/books flow in endless streams, as they have for the past 135 years or so. :^)

Can I suggest that another open-ended discussion about "deciphering" symbols whose linguistic status is itself disputed is hardly appropriate on the List?  It is torturous to have to revisit the same territory repeatedly.

I suggest that those interested go to the List archives here

http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?S1=indology

and type in the words (no quotes) "Indus script".

Then add in the Since Box (again no quotes) "2011".

That will take you to the last of many List discussions on the topic, involving summaries of the conflicting views of Asko Parpola, me and my colleagues, and others -- all based on already published and readily available papers.

If you want older discussions -- often reiterating the same arguments -- expand on the date range in the search fields to 1999 or so. You will find further opinions, etc., in abundance.

Warm regards,
Steve Farmer