A verse listing ten uses for the Sanskrit present tense

Kellner, Birgit kellner at ASIA-EUROPE.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Mon Jun 18 14:17:20 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

this is a question for the Vaiyākaraṇas. In his Vyākhyāyukti, Vasubandhu cites a verse which lists ten instances where the present tense is used - and these all might be instances where the present tense is used for something past. The text is only preserved in Tibetan translation, and I was wondering whether anyone knows where the list might be from. It is followed by examples for each of these uses. My understanding of the ten uses is:

(1) Incompletion, (2) proximity to the present, (3) capability, (4) continuity, (5) disposition, (6) general state of affairs, (7) repetition, (8) becoming, (9) desire, (10) perfection.

The Tibetan reads:

ma zin ñid daṅ ñe ba ñid /
/ nus daṅ rgyun mi 'chad ñid daṅ /
/ de ṅaṅ (corr. : daṅ) chos ñid yaṅ daṅ yaṅ /
/ srid daṅ 'dod rdzogs rnams la 'byuṅ /

Help would be greatly appreciated,

all the best,

Birgit Kellner

----------
Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Chair of Buddhist Studies
Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context - Shifting Asymmetries in Cultural Flows"
University of Heidelberg
Karl Jaspers Centre
Vossstraße 2, Building 4400
D-69115 Heidelberg