Fwd: [INDOLOGY] South Asia Archive?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 25 10:26:39 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Klaus Karttunen <klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi>
Date: 24 July 2012 14:15
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] South Asia Archive?

Dear Dominik,

two years ago I was invited to Oxford to a one-day meeting discussing this
plan, other participants were mainly working on modern history. The
collection they had at their use belongs to a Calcutta foundation and
seemed to be rather big and many-sided. Literary journals in Bengali, some
scholarly journals (JASB), yearly reports of various branches of
administration, all mainly from 1900-1950. I have the list somewhere. I
found the idea rather good: Although most of those publications probably
are in the British Library, it would be very good to have them also in
internet, as all of us cannot so easily drop in to BL. We emphasized that
the material should be in a form that it can be easily and quickly used.
But I haven't heard of its later development.

Best,
Klaus

 Klaus Karttunen
Professor of South Asian and Indoeuropean Studies
Asian and African Studies, Department of World Cultures
PL 59 (Unioninkatu 38 B)
00014 University of Helsinki, FINLAND
Tel +358-(0)9-191 22674
Fax +358-(0)9-191 22094