Fwd: Sanskrit Manuscripts Project, Cambridge - First Release

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 24 15:55:56 UTC 2012

On 23 July 2012 15:56, Dominik Wujastyk <Dominik.Wujastyk at univie.ac.at>wrote:

> Dear Dr Vergiani and colleagues,
>
> What a wonderful resource you have created.  It is hard to imagine a more
> useful or well-designed presentation of the Cambridge Skt MS materials.
> Thank you all!  I look forward to the growth of this online repository.
>
> This Cambridge resource is matched by the fine work being done at the "Penn
> in Hand<http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/medren/search.html?fq=collection_facet%3A%22Indic%20Manuscripts%22>"
> project at the University of Pennsylvania, that offers comparable
> facilities.
>
> I hope librarians with Indic collections elsewhere are watching these
> developments.  There is no reason for a library with a collection of Indic
> manuscripts not to be thinking very seriously about presenting their
> collections in such a manner.  Collections that are not presented in some
> such a way obviously risk being marginalized as scholarly resources.
>
> Best,
> Dominik Wujastyk

PS

It may amuse you to know that at a talk I gave for SALG at Cambridge
in 1996<http://univie.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk/Talks/93498/Sanskrit_Manuscripts_on_the_Internet_Cambriidge_1996>,
I finished with the following words:

Conclusion

Can a modern library afford to be left out?
What will happen if Cambridge, say, doesn’t digitize its world-class
Buddhist manuscript collection?

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk