Vedic references to Equinoxes, Solstices and Season changes?

Bill Mak bill.m.mak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 07:09:57 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/26, at 14:14, Dean Michael Anderson wrote:

> Can anyone please point me to references in the texts from the Vedic
> period to Equinoxes, Solstices and Season changes?

The saṃhitā does not provide explicit formulation with regard to the
equinoxes and solstices, although there are scanty references to the
seasons. The details are given in Vedāṅga-jyotiṣa which comes in
rc and yajur recensions, although according to Pingree this work could
be quite late (c 400 BC). You shall find discussion on this topic in
the following works:

Kuppanna Sastry, T S, K V Sarma, and Lagadha. 1985. Vedāṅga
Jyotiṣa of Lagadha in Its Rk and Yajus Recension. New Delhi: Indian
National Science Academy.
Pingree, David. 1981. Jyotiḥśāstra : Astral and Mathematical
Literature. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz.	8-10.
Subbarayappa, B V. 2008. The Tradition of Astronomy in India :
Jyotiḥśāstra. New Delhi : Coronet Books Inc.

Best regards

Dr. Bill M. Mak

Centre of Buddhist Studies
Room 205, 2/F, May Hall, The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road
Hong Kong