A Query re the development of garbha

Andrey Klebanov andra.kleb at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 21:16:56 UTC 2012

concerning the meaning of "murch/mūrch" and related words I would like to call your attention to an [unfortunately still] forthcoming paper by Dr. Jan Meulenbeuld, which I was lucky to listen to during a small workshop in Copenhagen organized by Prof. Zysk. Here Dr. Meulenbeld has demonstrated on the basis of numeral passages from Sanskrit medical literature that the meanings of murch/mūrch could be boiled down to smth. like 'to become one homogeneous mass'. Exactly this meaning, I believe, could be rather naturally applied to both the passages quoted by Prof. Vielle. I wonder which passage Artur Karp actually had in mind, while asking his question and whether there too mūrch could be understood acc. to Dr. Meulenbeld's finding.

What kaṭhina is concerned, I would like to briefly second Prof. Goodall's statement concerning the term ghana. In fact, the passage in Suśrutasaṃhitā (3.3.18 acc. to GRETIL's e-text) applies this designation to a two-months-old embryo. The commentator Ḍalhaṇa briefly states on it: "ghanaḥ kaṭhinaḥ |"

Best wishes
with great respect for the passed away scholar
Andrey Klebanov