sad new: Frits Staal

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 11:02:39 UTC 2012

I am very sad indeed to hear this.  May I join my voice to those of
others in saying what a huge and very original contribution Frits made
to our field, and how valuable his studies and example have been to me
personally.  His famous Euclid & Panini inaugural was a huge
inspiration to me early in my career, as I moved from the sciences to
Sanskrit studies.  Later, reading his works on vyakarana and nyaya was
also pivotal in opening up the treasures of India's linguistic
traditions.

I am shocked by the news too, since Frits and I were corresponding by
email on the 20th and 21st of last month.  He told me of his illness,
but said the doctors were suggesting that he had several years yet
before him.

I shall miss him.

Best wishes to all,
Dominik