Terms for Negation ?

Birgit Kellner kellner at ASIA-EUROPE.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Tue Feb 7 20:15:08 UTC 2012

Stephen,

thank you for providing more information. A quick glance at Negi's
dictionary, entry for bzlog pa - just by way of an example - may clarify
why I prefer to put "retrovert" in inverted commas (intended to indicate
the uncertainty involved in the whole enterprise): there's quite a few
words "bzlog pa" might translae ...

In this case the meaning "to exclude" seems pretty clear, but there are
also several candidates for the word that "bzlog pa" might translate
when this meaning is assumed: nivṛtti, vyāvṛtti, vyāvartana, and more.

Judging from discussions about negation in Buddhist epistemological and
logical treatises, I tend to assume that either of these words is
possible here, and that they all are widely used without much
discrimination to denote the function of negative terms or particles.

In other words, this doesn't seem to be a particularly technical usage
which would be part of some classification of kinds of negation, but an
account using generally widespread terminology.

I hope this helps a little,

best,

Birgit

--
--------

Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Chair in Buddhist Studies
Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context - Shifting
Asymmetries in Cultural Flows"
University of Heidelberg
Karl Jaspers Centre
Vossstraße 2, Building 4400