FW: [INDOLOGY] Terms for Negation ?

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 1 20:40:19 UTC 2012

From: Deshpande, Madhav
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:35 PM
To: Stephen Hodge
Subject: RE: [INDOLOGY] Terms for Negation ?

Hello Stephen,

     The Nyāyakośa of Bhīmācārya Jhalkikar (2nd edition, BORI, Pune, 1928, p. 399) quotes a traditional verse giving six meaning of negation:

sādṛśyam tad-abhāvaś ca tad-anyatvaṃ tad-alpatā / aprāśastyaṃ virodhaś ca nañ-arthāḥ ṣaṭ prakīrtitāḥ //

No source is given for this verse, but I have heard it being cited when I was reading Śāstric Sanskrit works in Pune.  Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
202 South Thayer Street, Suite 6111
The University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1608, USA