Terms for Negation ?

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Wed Feb 1 18:32:31 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

The general term in tradtional Sanskrit grammars for negation is, of course,
pratiṣedha.  Due to my lack of in-depth familiarity with the traditional
grammars, I wonder if somebody might be able to help me.  I am trying to
find Sanskrit terms, if any, for the different sub-classes of negation, in
particular for the various types of "a-" (for the negative of privation
etc). All I can find are examples of about 6 sub-categories, but no
terminology. I am trying to retrovert with a modicom of accuracy some terms
from Tibetan. Any suggestions most welcome.

Best wishes,

Stephen Hodge