Sad announcement: Passing of Prof Tilmann Vetter (1937-2012)

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 24 15:07:36 UTC 2012

Professor Houben's excellent and lively description
of Prof. Vetter and his achievements was most welcome. I only add a less known aspect
-- interest in Śaṅkara that was responsible for Studien zur Lehre und Entwicklung
Śaṅkaras.In
determining date and development Vetter paid great attention to terminology and
form. Somewhat averse to pinpointing ideological change  --  in
that he resembled many Western enquirers -- Vetter seemed to be an unrelenting
idealist to me. Naturally he preferred Radhakrishnan to Dasgupta and loved reading Tagore’s Gitanjali. Soft spoken and drawn into himself Vetter was conscientious. A man of books and vast learning he seemed to me as not interested in administrative enterprise. Fine to some, disappointing to some. I had been missing him for sometime. Now that
is permanent.
DB

________________________________
 From: Jan E.M. Houben <jemhouben at GMAIL.COM>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Monday, 24 December 2012 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Sad announcement: Passing of Prof Tilmann Vetter (1937-2012)

Dear Jonathan,
This is very sad and a great loss for Buddhology and Indian studies.

Some notes and an anecdote:

Prof. Tilmann E. Vetter, since 1964 (Erkenntnisprobleme
bei Dharmakirti, Vienna: OeAkWi) known as a scholar in Buddhology having direct
access to the major sources in three classical languages, Sanskrit, Tibetan and
Chinese, has occupied the chair of Buddhology in the then Kern Institute,
Leiden, till 1999.
Among those who can call Prof. Tillman E. Vetter
their “Doctor Vater” several come to mind
(apart from Vittorio [Victor] van Bijlert
1987: “The Buddha as a Valid Means of Cognition” already mentioned by Prof.
Bhattacharya):
Johannes Bronkhorst 1980 “Theoretical
Aspects of Panini’s grammar” (for his second PhD, first PhD 1979 in Pune),
Peter Verhagen 1991 “Sanskrit grammatical
literature in Tibet”,
Henk Blezer 1997 “Kar gling Zhi khro: A
Tantric Buddhist Concept”,
Aucke Forsten 2004 “The Second Chapter of
the Lankavatarasutra: A Buddhological and Philosophical Study”
Yuko Ijiri 2005 “The Four Upasaka Chapters
of the Gandavyuha: A Comparative Edition and a Translation”

I remember a discussion with Paul van der
Velde during a reception in autumn 1995. Paul who was in a team around W.A.L.
Stokhof setting up the new International Institute for Asian Studies (planned
in accordance with Frits Staal’s 1991 “Baby Krishna Report” on “minor” language
studies at Dutch universities). Paul was proudly explaining me how, through a memorial plaque (www.muurgedichten.nl/multatuli.html)
and some other activities, he had succeeded in creating a link between the
young institute and the 19th century orientalist Prof. Veth (see
also Paul’s thesis that appeared a few years later: www.paulvandervelde.nl/veth/),
about whom the author Multatuli had once written:
“Wie niet verbaasd staat over
de kennis van professor Veth heeft geen verstand van kennis.”
(“The one who is
not astonished at the knowledge of professor Veth does not understand
knowledge.”)
My reply to Paul: “But WE (the then Kern
Institute) have VetTER.”
Prof. Vetter, also present at the
reception and standing not far, had unintentionally overheard our discussion and had his well-known ironical smile.

Dear Jonathan,

--
Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d Etudes « Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite »
JEMHouben at gmail.com
www.jyotistoma.nl