Citation

L.S. Cousins selwyn at NTLWORLD.COM
Sun Dec 16 10:41:30 UTC 2012

As mentioned, /bhikkhave/ is normal for the vocative plural in Pali
(possibly a survival of an eastern form). /Bhikṣave/ appears to be the
only form found in Gāndhārī for the vocative plural. It also occurs
sporadically in Buddhist Sanskrit texts (including the
/Saṅghabhedavastu/ and the /Dīrghāgama/ manuscript). Probably in later
times it would tend to be corrected to /bhikṣavo/ by scribes. So there
is no way of knowing what Medhātithi intended and we can only follow the
Mss.

Lance Cousins