The earliest Indian literary histories

Tyler Williams tylerwwilliams at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 21 03:14:02 UTC 2012

A few important early attempts at a literary history of 'Hindi' (including
some literary languages that might be considered independent, and a few
nods towards Urdu):

Sengar, Shiv Singh. 1966 (orig. 1878). *Śivasiṃh Saroj*. Edited by Trilok
Narayan Diksit. Lucknow: Tejkumar Book Depot.

Grierson, George Abraham. 1889. *The modern vernacular literature of
Hindustan.  <Printed as a special number of the Journal of the Asiatic
Society of Bengal, part 1, for 1888.>*. Calcutta: Asiatic Society.

Mishra, Ganeshwar, Syamavihari Mishra, Sukadevavihari Mishra. 1972. (orig.
1913) *Misrabandhu Vinoda*. New revised ed. Hyderbad. (orig. Hindi Granth
Prasarak Mandali)

Best,
Tyler