Fwd: Project Update #4: The Roots of Yoga, A Sourcebook from the Indian Traditions by Mark Singleton

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 6 15:02:59 UTC 2012

I've pledged some funding to this, and I warmly recommend the project.
Please spread the word.  With about $34,000 pledged, the project is 68%
towards funding.  But if the project is not 100% pledged, then it gets zero.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kickstarter <no-reply at kickstarter.com>
Date: 6 August 2012 16:57
Subject: Project Update #4: The Roots of Yoga, A Sourcebook from the Indian
Traditions by Mark Singleton
To: wujastyk at gmail.com

      Project Update #4: Only four days to go!
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36604121/the-roots-of-yoga-a-sourcebook-from-the-indian-tra/posts/282321?ref=email&show_token=97ae0214d090ef45>
Posted by Mark Singleton [image:
Like]<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36604121/the-roots-of-yoga-a-sourcebook-from-the-indian-tra/posts/282321?ref=email&show_token=97ae0214d090ef45#modal_dialog:facebook-like-dialog>

Hi Everyone,

First of all, a huge "thank you" to all those who contributed since our
last post. We're bowled over by the generosity of the yoga community, and
so excited that we're on our way to being able to start work on the book.
With only four days to go, though, we're 2/3 of the way to our target, so
we need a really big last push. As you know, if we don't make full funding,
we don't see *any* of the money.

We'd like to ask you once again to put out word on your networks: tell your
friends why this is a worthwhile project. Encourage them to have a look at
the kickstarter site and to donate if they feel so moved. Announce the
project at your local yoga studio and ask your fellow students and teachers
to spread the word. Anything you can think of! We're very close: there is
often a surge of interest and donations at the tail end of a kickstarter
campaign, and we're really hoping this one is going to follow that pattern.
So any help you all can offer at this stage will be vital. Here's the link
to the kickstarter
page:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36604121/the-roots-of-yoga-a-sourcebook-from-the-indian-tra

And here's Yoga Journal's coverage of the campaign:
http://blogs.yogajournal.com/yogabuzz/2012/07/yoga-scholars-reach-out-to-community.html

Lastly, here's a snippet from Jim's translation of the Dattatreya Yoga
Shastra, a text which describes the yoga teachings of the sage Dattatreya
to his student Sāṃkṛti. The full translation of this text is one of the
kickstarter rewards:

"If diligent, everyone, even the young or the old or the diseased,
gradually obtains success in yoga through practice. Whether brahmin,
ascetic, Buddhist, Jain, Skullbearer or materialist, the wise man endowed
with faith who is constantly devoted to his practice obtains complete
success. Success happens for he who performs the practices - how could it
happen for one who does not? Success does not arise in any form merely by
reading the scriptures. Shaven-headed, bearing a staff or wearing ochre
robes; saying “Nārāyaṇa”, having matted hair, smearing oneself with ash,
saying “namaḥ Śivāya”, or worshipping external images; marking oneself in
the twelve places, or adorning oneself with lots of rosaries: if one does
not practice or is cruel, how is one to get success? The wearing of
religious garb does not bring success, nor does talking about it. Practice
alone is the cause of success: this is indeed true, Sāṃkṛti. It is a well
known fact that men who wear religious garb but undertake no religious
practices deceive people by talking of yoga for purposes of lust and
gluttony. Crafty men try various deceits; declaring “we are yogins” they
are fools, intent on nothing but their own satisfaction. Gradually coming
to realise that men like that do not practise yoga, but attain their ends
through words alone, one should shun those who wear religious garb."

With warm wishes,

Mark and Jim

      *Care to comment?* View this update on Kickstarter →
<http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36604121/the-roots-of-yoga-a-sourcebook-from-the-indian-tra/posts/282321?ref=email&show_token=97ae0214d090ef45>

Unsubscribe from this project's updates with one
click<http://www.kickstarter.com/unsubscribe/BAh7B0kiCHVpZAY6BkVGaQNEGwtJIgtleHBpcnkGOwBGSSIYMjAxMi0wOS0wNiAxNDo1Nzo1NwY7AEY=--cca7231ae04272960d07c60038dbb9d81708e7a0/4262040?ref=email>
 KICKSTARTER <http://www.kickstarter.com/?ref=email>