Porunthal: dating of paddy in the 5th century B.C. and possible consequences on the evaluation of the history of writing in India

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 16 03:08:29 UTC 2011

Dear Dr. Chevillard,
I submit this with hesitation and prior apology because I am no expert on ancient Tamil scripts. But in the few specimens I have (like A.H.Dani
Oxford 1963 whose 'plates' are printed on horribly poor quality papers,
V.Kannaiyan and a few like material) the early Tamil va is not a diamond . It may be a sharp triangle or triangle with round edge and an
antenna. Do we have evidence to identify the initial sign as a va?
Best
DB

________________________________
From: Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD <jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR>
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Sent: Sunday, 16 October 2011 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] Porunthal: dating of paddy in the 5th century B.C. and possible consequences on the evaluation of the history of writing in India

Dear Corinna Wessels-Mevissen,

can you explain more in details
why you are sceptical with the decipherment
"va-y(a)-ra".

Every comment is important, at this stage, ...

Best wishes

-- jlc

On 16/10/2011 00:30, Corinna Wessels-Mevissen wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
> What I have seen in the circulated picture is just typical "graffiti" we are getting on Iron Age to Early Historical Period pottery in graves (urn burial and/or "Megalithic"). It has been known since the 19th century. Sometimes it comes like a "code" or intentional sequence. One should, of course, analyse it further, but I fail to see a breakthrough in this one. (I had studied such ceramics for my M.A. thesis back in the 80ies and have seen scores of the typical pottery items, all without Brahmi writing.)
> Sorry to say this, but I would be always very careful, even suspicious, believing this kind of "news" without looking into the matter very closely. Actually, the original article should have illustrated the example for everyone to see. Archaeologists, particularly in Tamilnadu, seem to be under a constant kind of pressure (or is it a mindset?) to "push back" so far established dates. They regularly come up with various attempts.
> With best wishes,
> Corinna Wessels-Mevissen

 confidence that Raja Raja Chola's va is not like the inital diamond. I have no idea about RRC's ba of which I have no specimen. The basic problem may be attempted from this meagre evidence, I think.