Porunthal: dating of paddy in the 5th century B.C. and possible consequences on the evaluation of the history of writing in India

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Oct 15 19:20:45 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am NOT an archeologist, nor an expert on paleography or
whatever ... . However, the statement, "Archaeologists, particularly
in Tamilnadu, seem to be under a constant kind of pressure (or is it
a mindset?) to "push back" so far established dates. They regularly
come up with various attempts." needs some attention and
substantiation. I wish genuine and serious scholars would stop making
such flippant remarks! :-)

Tamils, as being one myself, have to go through a long way to prove
ourselves to be worthy of something in a heavily non-Tamil oriented
culture, anywhere in the world! That being the case, it is also worth
demanding precise statements about our culture, I think.

Thanks and regards,
V.S. Rajam
(www.letsgrammar.org)