Another bit of black anti-rakshas PR?

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Nov 20 07:13:17 UTC 2011

Dear Artur,

I mistakenly sent my previous reply only to you, and not to the list. I
have just resent it to INDOLOGY. I'm surprised that your reply to me was
returned (it didn't reach me), although the Berkeley server has been
having problems the last few days, so maybe that is the reason.

used for the destruction of the world, and it is so used in the /Gītā/
passage you quote, although in that passage there is an explicit mention
of the destruction of the /lokas/. But the fact is that it is a formula
in the epics to refer to /yugānta/ when comparisons to the end of the
world are meant. I have worked on this, and I will send you privately an
article that discusses it.

This doesn't prove that you are wrong, of course, but I think it is very
unlikely that these verses refer to the end of the world.

You quote from MW:

abhy-adhāvata prajāḥ kāla ivāntakaḥ - "he attacked the people like
Time the destroyer". (Ra 3.2.9.)

  You seem sure that MW here has the meaning of the end of the world in
mind, instead of death, but that appears unlikely, as before the example
you quote he writes:

"...time (as destroying all things) , death, time of death (often
personified and represented with the attributes of Yama, regent of the
dead, or even identified with him: hence /kālam-i /or /kālaṃ-kr̥/," to
die "' MBh. &c. ;/kāla/ in this sense is frequently connected with
/antaka/, /mr̥tyu/..."

Anyway, please consider this as a difference of opinion.

I'm sorry if you took the last sentence in my previous reply as an
offense. It wasn't meant that way.

Regards,

Luis
_____