Another bit of black anti-rakshas PR?

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Nov 20 05:57:05 UTC 2011

Dear Artur,

4-3-2-1 is not the same as 3-4-2-10. And you're ignoring the elephant
head. With it, the numerical sequence would be 3-4-2-10-1.

If you want to see an intentionally distorted numerical sequence here (I
don't), one could see 1+2+3+4 = 10.

As for taking /antaka/ to mean "the end of the world," there is no
context for such a reading here. /Antaka/ looks here like the usual
reference to death (the 'ender' of life), just as Pollock takes it in
his translation. /Kāla/, time, is commonly used in the epics as a
synonym for death, as time eventually takes everyone's life away. If the
'end of the world' were meant, one would expect the term /yugānta/. See
for instance, a few sargas down the line, at 3.23.26:

/yugāntāgnir iva/

These comparisons to /yugānta/ appear several times in Vālmīki (and
many, many times in the /Mahābhārata/), but even they don't necessarily
imply a reference to the theory of the four yugas.

If one gets too 'creative' with these sorts of interpretations one can
find almost anything in a text (including shish-kakob, to follow Joanna
joke).

Regards,

Luis González-Reiman
_____