1 July Symposium in honor of Gene Smith

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 31 13:31:47 UTC 2011

I am not certain that my attachment in an earlier attempt made it through,
therefore I repeat the post here (apologies if the earlier post reached you
and I simply clog your inbox):

Presenting Tibet:
Celebrating the Contributions of E. Gene Smith to Tibetan Studies

*Date:* 1 July 2011
*Venue: *Gravensteen (room 111), Pieterskerkhof 6,
Leiden<http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=pieterskerkhof+6,+leiden&aq=&sll=52.476089,5.515137&sspn=4.892284,14.227295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pieterskerkhof+6,+Leiden,+Zuid-Holland&z=16>

A half-day of presentations and discussion, followed by the formal ceremony
of bestowal of the (posthumous) Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD) on E. Gene
Smith

Short presentations followed by discussion:

*13.00 - 13.05*
Welcome by *Prof. Jonathan A. Silk* (Leiden University Institute for Area
Studies)

*13.05 *- *13.50
Dr. Henk Blezer* (Leiden University Institute for Area Studies)
*Where to Look for the Origins of Zhang zhung-related Scripts*

*13.50 - 14.35**
Prof. Leonard van der Kuijp* (Harvard University, USA)
*A Tibetan-Buddhist - Protestant-Christian Encounter near Xining, Qinghai
Province, in 1890*

*14.35 - 15.00*
*Coffee/Tea break*

*15.00 - 15.45*
*Prof.* *Charles Ramble* (Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France)
*The Origins of Tibetan Autobiography*

*15.45 - 16.30*
*Prof. Cristina Scherrer-Schaub* (University of Lausanne and Ecole Pratique
des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France)
*Places and writings (waiting) to be discovered: Tibet in the epoch of Paul
Pelliot (1878-1945)*

*16.30 - 17.15*
*Dr. Peter Verhagen* (Leiden University Institute for Area Studies)
*Encyclopedic Knowledge in Tibet's Traditions: Si-tu Chos-kyi-'byung-gnas
(1699?-1774) and
E. Gene Smith*

*Awarding of the Degree*

*17.30**
Formal bestowal of the doctoral degree*
(Senaatskamer of the Academy Building, Rapenburg 73,
Leiden<http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=rapenburg+73,+leiden&aq=&sll=52.476089,5.515137&sspn=4.892284,14.227295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rapenburg+73,+Leiden,+Zuid-Holland&z=16>
)

*Information and Registration*:
For questions or registration, contact Ms Martina van den Haak at
M.C.van.den.Haak at iias.nl

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden