Jhakataka and bhakataka?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 13 05:10:41 UTC 2011

In the *Rasendramaṅgala*, a tenth-century alchemical work ascribed to
Nāgārjuna Siddha, there's a word "challapalla" that seemed to mean something
like jhakaṭaka too.  "Trouble, fuss, argument."  (Or it could be associated
with chal "cheat,"  meaning "deceptions, pretences"?)

(diplomatic transcription sic from MS, ch. 1:)

ye vai na jānanti rasendrakarmāṇy
asyāṃ pṛthivyāṃ ca kathaṃ sa vaidyaḥ / 15 /
kiṃ challapallair varavaidyarājaḥ
sa rājate bhūpatim agratas ya
na vetti yo vai rasarājaveśanaṃ
kāruṇyakīrti sa kathaṃ hi lebhe / 16 /
sarvoṣadhānāṃ kriyayopayogataḥ
sa challapallair varayogaratnaiḥ
nāyāti tulyaṃ varayogibhūtale
rasendrayogāc chatakoṭir aṃśataḥ / 17 /

Maybe these words could be compared, linguistically, to English expressions
like "argy-bargy <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/argy-bargy>."

Best,
Dominik